after a super fun whirlwind weekend in LA that included disneyland, seeing both of our sisters and their significant others, helping prep a lot of delicious food for a party, and a surprise proposal (we are so excited for you, l & j, and we were so happy to be there with you for the momentous occasion!), we needed to plan a couple quick, healthy weeknight meals. and, of course, we thought about this meal.
we’ve been eating this quick, delicious dinner almost every week since we first tried it. yep, it’s been in heavy dinner rotation along with the chimichurri bowls i posted a few weeks ago. you may be noticing that we are pretty crazy about making different kinds of bowls during the week (like these hippie bowls).
we love how fast this recipe is, especially if we cook the lentils on the weekend. the tangy but slightly sweet dressing adds a delicious citrusy flavor that complements the fresh mint perfectly. and, we’ve discovered that if we wrap it in fresh corn tortillas, it’s even better! we hope you enjoy it, too!
- one year ago: zucchini and cherry tomato crumble; plum bread; and gluten-free, dairy-free pumpkin cupcakes
- two years ago: sweet and sour eggplant; quinoa cakes; and chocolate cake
- three years ago: coconut rice and beans; arugula, potato, and red bean soup; and biscuits
- four years ago: pancakes and chickpea patties
- five years ago: tagine; oatmeal; and potato salad
lentil, zucchini, and lemon-herb bowls
yields 4 main dish servings
barely adapted from vegetarian times
- 3c vegetable broth
- 1c green lentils
- 2t olive oil
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1/2c mint leaves, chopped
- 2t lemon zest
- 2½T olive oil
- 1T lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2t dijon mustard
- 1/2t honey
- 1c crumbled goat cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- boil the vegetable broth, add the lentils, and turn the heat down to low
- allow the lentils to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until tender
- meanwhile, heat 2t olive oil in a pan over medium heat
- add the zucchini and sauté until slightly browned and tender, about 5 minutes total
- remove the zucchini, then toss in a bowl with the mint and lemon zest
- whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and honey
- pile 1/4 of the lentils into a bowl, then top with 1/4 of the zucchini mixture, 1T of the lemon vinaigrette, and 1/4 goat cheese
- season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
- we have been enjoying this dish wrapped in corn tortillas – try it out!