every fall, i get very reflective. there’s something about the changing of the seasons, away from my favorite season and into the darker fall and winter months, that makes me think about both the past and where i’m heading. does this happen to any of you, dear readers?
i’m sure this feeling is partially tied to all the years of school, when the turning of seasons meant a lot less swimming, sleeping in, and reading mystery novels for fun. but it also brought a lot of great things, like new binders, blank paper, sharp number two pencils, and unopened books with crisp pages.
the feeling is also tied to fourteen (FOURTEEN! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?) years ago, when mike and i started dating just as the summer was ending. anniversaries make me incredibly reflective about the past and start thinking about the future.
and then there’s our wedding anniversary, when we tied the knot six years ago today, on the official first day of fall. (happy anniversary, mike! as always, i can’t wait to see what the next year together brings!)
so as i head forward this fall, leaving the quick summer salads and grilled vegetables behind and moving into root vegetables and gourds, i am definitely spending time as i prepare dinner thinking about the past and the future. and wanting to find more meals like this one, where the hearty, filling root vegetables are brightened by citrus and parsley. we have made this dinner no less than four times in the past two weeks, and are trying a new take on it this week. i’ll let you know if it’s any good! happy fall, everyone!
- one year ago: gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chippers
- two years ago: watermelon and tomato salad
- three years ago: cinnamon rolls
- four years ago: rustic ratatouille
- five years ago: edamame rice bowls
yam, quinoa, and avocado bowls with chimichurri
yields 4 main dish servings
adapted from vegetarian times
- 2lb yams, skin-on, diced into small pieces
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1c quinoa
- 2c water
- 3c italian parsley, rinsed and dried
- 3T lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1t paprika
- 1/2t red pepper flakes
- salt, optional
- 1/4c olive oil, warmed in the microwave for 30 seconds
- 2 avocados
- preheat your oven to 425º F
- after washing and dicing the yams, toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper on a cookie sheet
- lay the yams out in one layer and bake for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes
- while the yams are cooking, add the quinoa and water to a small pan and bring to a boil
- once boiling, reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes
- next, pulse the parsley, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, and red pepper flakes in a food processor
- pour in the olive oil, and pulse until combined into a chimichurri sauce, adding salt if desired
- place 1/4 of the quinoa, 1/4 of the yams, 1/2 of an avocado, and 3T of the chimichurri sauce in a bowl
- season with salt and pepper and enjoy!