over the past nine months, mike and i have found so many fantastic restaurants in seattle: wild ginger, paseo, mykonos, bengal tiger, elysian brewing company, pies and pints, coa, kisaku, el camino, phoenecia, mr. gyro’s, and more pho places than i can name.
but we haven’t found a taqueria that comes anywhere close to tacos moreno back in santa cruz. so when the latest vegetarian times arrived and had a cabbage taco recipe, i knew we had to make it, since the recipe looked very similar to the corn quesadillas at tacos moreno! i have to add a quick disclaimer – the quesadillas at tacos moreno are actually warm corn tortillas with cheese, beans, cabbage, and a delicious pico de gallo salsa, not the standard cheese-filled tortilla that the name quesadilla might bring to mind.
although you could probably throw this dish together sans recipe (why didn’t i think about trying to re-create them earlier?), i love the marinated onions and cabbage – they’re absolutely delicious! and please don’t be deterred by all the bowls/pans this recipe requires – the components are super simple to put together, and it’s totally worth it to have all the different layers of flavor in one taco!
and for those of you counting/commiserating with me – i just have two papers, one presentation, and one exam left! yay! thanks for all of your support over the past few weeks!
one year ago: broccoli pizza and banana pancakes
two years ago: glazed seitan and hummus
yields approx 8 tacos
borrowed from vegetarian times
- marinated onion
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4c white vinegar
- 1/3c lime juice
- 1t salt
- cilantro marinade
- 1/4c cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 2T lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 2T olive oil
- taco components
- 2 small avocados, peeled and diced
- 2c cabbage, shredded
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- 8 corn tortillas
- jack cheese, optional
- combine onion, vinegar, lime juice, and salt in a bowl. cover and place in the fridge while you’re making the rest of the meal.
- blend the cilantro, garlic, 2T lime juice in a blender or food processor, adding salt and pepper as desired. add olive oil and continue blending until well combined.
- pour 1T of dressing over the avocado chunks in a small bowl and season with salt to taste.
- toss the cabbage, tomato, and carrot with the remaining dressing.
- heat the black beans in a pan until bubbling.
- in a frying pan, warm the corn tortillas individually. top with jack cheese, if desired, and then layer with a spoonful of black beans, cabbage-tomato-carrot mixture, avocado, and a few slices of marinated onions. enjoy!